Register/Login to join the discussion.

What are your barriers to care?

For many carers, taking care of themselves is often their last priority. Taking Care of Yourself encourages carers to consider their own needs. In this forum, carers explore the key barriers to focusing on self care and investigate ways to overcome these barriers.

Moderator: Matt (CPC Admin)

Matt (CPC Admin)
Group: CPC Staff Member

What are your barriers to care?

Unread postby Matt (CPC Admin) » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:25 am

Experience tells us that gaining and maintaining a decent state of health and wellbeing is a series of constant decisions, actions and habits.

What has stopped you from making good decisions about your health? What good habits have you managed to add to your daily life?
Matthew Elder
Education and Training Officer
Carers NSW

P 02 9280 4744 Level 10, 213 Miller Street
F 02 9280 4755 North Sydney NSW 2060
Carer Line 1800 242 636 PO Box 785 North Sydney NSW 2059
[email protected]

Margie_girl
Group: Carer Peer Connect

Re: Barriers to care

Unread postby Margie_girl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am

I feel guilty looking after myself. I know I need to look after myself better but my partner needs me.

HeatherCares

Re: Barriers to care

Unread postby HeatherCares » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm

When juggling my needs with my husband's, I constantly put his first. In the back of my mind, is the knowing that I must look after me, yet I always think there is more time in the day or there is more energy in my reserves to get to my needs later.
How do I resolve this? By constantly asking myself 'can I do this without compromising my own needs?'. And if the answer is no, then I look for support wherever I can get it. It is not easy.

Keith.C
Group: St George Sutherland Parkinson's Support Group - Carers subgroup

Re: What are your barriers to care?

Unread postby Keith.C » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Do you have a local carer support service? I’ve found the local Sutherland (NSW) absolutely tremendous as a support / source of self care support and advice

Matt (CPC Admin)
Group: CPC Staff Member

Unread postby Matt (CPC Admin) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Its great to hear that you've got a great support in the local Sutherland support service Keith. Local services are a great source of support and advocacy.

╱╱┏╮
╱╱┃┃
▉━╯┗━╮
▉┈┈┈┈┃
▉╮┈┈┈┃
╱╰━━━╯

Being around people who 'get it' is important.
Matthew Elder
Education and Training Officer
Carers NSW

P 02 9280 4744 Level 10, 213 Miller Street
F 02 9280 4755 North Sydney NSW 2060
Carer Line 1800 242 636 PO Box 785 North Sydney NSW 2059
[email protected]

cau1

Unread postby cau1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Definitely not looking after my own health and wellbeing and put my person cared for and others first.
I agree that you feel the guilt of looking after own self - but my caring "personality trait" just becomes the norm or nature to feel the empathy of others and put them first.

Juggling with work, study and volunteering commitments - and my goodness lots of opportunities that I would love to take but can't take or commit full time. At the same time, I try and find ways to efficiently use time commitments. E.g. my hobby time is used as my volunteering time in the local community - passionately love doing it! Though... balancing with own health wellbeing is a challenge.

Return to “Taking Care of Yourself”