Register/Login to join the discussion.

In and out of hospitals...

One-in-eight Australians provide unpaid care and support to a family member or friend with disability, mental illness, chronic condition, terminal illness or who is aged. But what is it really like to care? Share your experience here.

Moderator: Matt (CPC Admin)

Rosie
Group: Carer Peer Connect

In and out of hospitals...

Unread postby Rosie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:25 am

Hi. I just joined. Nice to know there are carers out there. Family support is so important, but not everyone has that. I don't have any family support at all. It's a shame cause, they get to miss out on knowing who my wonderful son is. I been caring for my 19 year old son, who is terminal. In and out of hospitals all are his life. Hardest time for me is when it's hospital stays as i live on maybe f ew hours sleep and seeing my son deteriorate. I've been caring all his life. My son is intellectually disabled, lots of medical problems and a degenitive disease, is tube feed only in nappies.. my son loves life and is a happy bubbly young man. I'm always home. For years I have bad anxiety, but I've come to learn to accept that. It is what it is. I'm just grateful that we have a great NDIS package, I get lots of support through homecare etc.

Matt (CPC Admin)
Group: CPC Staff Member

Re: In and out of hospitals...

Unread postby Matt (CPC Admin) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:30 am

Hi Rosie,

Thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully we can be a place of support for you, and know that you are not alone in your caring role.

Matthew
Matthew Elder
Education and Training Officer
Carers NSW

P 02 9280 4744 Level 10, 213 Miller Street
F 02 9280 4755 North Sydney NSW 2060
Carer Line 1800 242 636 PO Box 785 North Sydney NSW 2059
[email protected]

Return to “Carer Stories”