Register/Login to join the discussion.

Impacts of caring

For many carers, taking care of themselves is often their last priority. Taking Care of Yourself encourages carers to consider their own needs. In this forum, carers explore the key barriers to focusing on self care and investigate ways to overcome these barriers.

Moderator: Matt (CPC Admin)

Matt (CPC Admin)
Group: CPC Staff Member

Impacts of caring

Unread postby Matt (CPC Admin) » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:24 am

At some stage in our lives most of us will be, or will need, a carer. No matter who you care for, taking on a caring role is a significant event that brings many challenges and rewards.

How has caring impacted on your health and wellbeing, both positive and negative experiences?
Matthew Elder
Education and Training Officer
Carers NSW

P 02 9280 4744 Level 10, 213 Miller Street
F 02 9280 4755 North Sydney NSW 2060
Carer Line 1800 242 636 PO Box 785 North Sydney NSW 2059
[email protected]

Emmaaa
Group: Carer Peer Connect

Re: Impacts of caring

Unread postby Emmaaa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 am

I'm always tired now!!! I feel like i dont get time for me anymore. Saying that my life has been enriched so much by the love i get from the person I care for.

HeatherCares
Group: Carer Peer Connect

Unread postby HeatherCares » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:20 pm

I developed a chronic disease that forced me to change my lifestyle (diet, exercise etc). I was simply not looking after myself and chronically stressed. I continue to live with this issue but it is now managed. My husband has recovered a lot but our lives has changed dramatically. And most of it was avoidable, if we had done things differently. Looking after your own health is paramount.

Keith.C
Group: St George Sutherland Parkinson's Support Group - Carers subgroup

Unread postby Keith.C » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:50 am

Physically I’m probably better than ever as I walk or otherwise exercise for a break (quite a bit) but mentally I acknowledge I’m getting more prone to to being ‘frazzled’. The local carers support service in Sutherland (NSW) has been a great source of info and techniques

Return to “Taking Care of Yourself”