Register/Login to join the discussion.

Terminal Cancer

Moderator: Matt (CPC Admin)

Roddy
Group: Carer Peer Connect

Terminal Cancer

Unread postby Roddy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm

11 months ago my world was turned upside down when my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. He had no symptoms leading up to this diagnosis, and as a fit and active 60 year old still competing at a national level in martial arts, it was not something we ever expected would happen to us.

He was the strong one on our relationship, and now that role has been reversed (something I really struggle with). Our two adult sons do what they can, but with work, study and lives of their own, I am left with 95% of the workload. I have no family, and his family doesn't help. "Cancer" consumes every moment of every day in our lives. Many people contact me to ask how hubby is going, so having to say the same sad stories over and over again is very painful. We went from having a very active social life to being housebound.

My priority is making sure hubby is happy, comfortable and as well as possible. Like most carers this means putting our own needs on the back-burner, and consequently we end up with health issues of our own as a result of our circumstances.

Return to “Caring for someone with a chronic health condition”