Support for carer support groups
Carers NSW provides education for facilitators of carer support groups across NSW free of charge.
Coronavirus (Covid-19) and the carer support group
Carer Peer Connect ran Facilitator Meetups with a specific focus on how the coronavirus and social distancing is impacting on carer support groups. These meetings allowed members to talk openly about how the Coronavirus is affecting their groups and ways to overcome group challenges.
Coronavirus and the Carer Support Group - 2nd April 2020
The session was attended by group facilitators from Western NSW, Mid North Coast, and South West Sydney. Carer Support Groups represented included general, koori yarning, acquired brain injury, mental illness and aged care support.
- A group that met for the first time online (using messenger)
- How to set up a Zoom account
- The importance of teaching seniors to text
- Providing iPads (installed with apps) to the homes of seniors
- Concern that the decrease in services to the home is reducing social contact for carers
Click here to watch the session (52min)
Coronavirus and the Carer Support Group - 7th April 2020
"We have to remember that we are not 'working from home' but we are doing our best to provide support during a pandemic."
In this session we explore personal reflections on facilitating carer support during the social isolation related to Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Click here to watch the session (56min)
Transitioning to an online carer support group
Meeting online with Zoom
Zoom is an online meeting platform (like Skype and Facetime) which enables you to connect with others over the internet. You will be able to use a computer or mobile device to access the meeting. The advantage of Zoom is that only the organiser of the scheduled meetings will need to create an account, invited guests do not need a Zoom account to join a meeting.
Many questions have been asked about running Zoom Meetings. In this video I discuss the benefits of running a Zoom meeting and demonstrate how to set up an account.
Zoom provides a comprehensive list of tutorials to help you get starting running Zoom meetings.
- Join a meeting
- Schedule a meeting
- Scheduling a Zoom Webinar
- Breakout rooms
- Sharing your screen
- Recording a session
Click here to access the Zoom Tutorials.
How to use Zoom Conferencing - click here to read
How to use Zoom for Remote and Online learning - click here to watch
How to use Breakout Rooms in Zoom - click here to watch
Monthly Facilitator Meetup - video link-up
The Carer Peer Connect program runs monthly video-meetings for facilitators of carer support groups. These video-meetings have allowed members to talk openly about the facilitation of their groups and discuss ways to overcome group challenges. The peer support from other carer support group facilitators connects participants from all corners of the state, from Albury and Wagga, to Dubbo and Broken Hill, and up to Tweed Heads.
Each meeting contains an educational component with a new theme each month.
Facilitator tele-meetings provide opportunities for:
- Sharing of new Carer Peer Connect network information.
- Discussing and brainstorming ideas to overcome group challenges.
- Support group facilitator debriefing.
- Support group promotion and networking.
- Peer support from other carers support group facilitators around NSW.
- 10am - 11am Fourth Tuesday of the month.
Upcoming Themes (2020)
February 25th - Attracting members - click here to watch videos of the session
March 24th - Managing diverse personalities - click here to watch videos of the session
April 28th - Transitioning to an online environment - click here to watch the session
May 26th - Dealing with conflict in the group
June 23rd - Conducting a Needs Analysis
July 28th - Facilitator burnout
August 25th - Self-care for facilitators
September 22nd - Essential characteristics of an effective carer support group
October 27th - Evaluating a groups aims and objectives
November 24th - 5 stages of group development
To find out more email [email protected]
Setting Up a Carer Support Group workshop
A free online interactive workshop that addresses common issues and considerations for new facilitators in setting up a brand new support group for unpaid family carers.
- Why a support group and how to attract members
- Setting up a carer support group
- Running a carer support group
- Planning a support group meeting
This training is open to:
- Service providers and carers who would like to set up a new carer support group
- Service providers and carers who have recently begun to run a carer support group
Locations and dates for workshops in 2020
- Online 10th June, 17th June, 24th June 2020 10am-12pm
For additional resources click here: https://lms.carersnsw.org.au
Carer Support Groups: A workshop for facilitators
A free interactive workshop covering a broad range of topics and issues that relate to the role of a carer support group facilitator.
- An introduction to group processes and group work
- Identifying and responding to issues specific to carers and the group
- How to develop and maintain ethical facilitation
- An introduction to Carers NSW resources for carer support groups, including Carer Support Groups: An information and support resource for facilitators.
This training is open to:
- Service providers and carers who currently facilitate a carer support group
- Service providers and carers who are interested in facilitating their own group
Locations and dates for workshops in 2020 Click on location for further information.
- North Sydney 27th May 2020 (postponed due to Covid-19)
- North Sydney 5th August 2020
- Online 21st May, 28th May, June 4th 2020 10am-12pm
- Online 4th November, 11th November, 18th November 2020 10am-12pm
Online Education Website
The Online Education Website brings Carers NSW knowledge and resources directly to you, no matter where you are across New South Wales. The Online Education Website provides a range of online modules for both carers and services providers that gives information, knowledge and skills to carers help in the caring role.
Carer Support Groups
- Setting up a carer support group
- Promoting a carer support group
To access the website click here: https://lms.carersnsw.org.au
For more information on accessing the Online Education Website, email [email protected]
Carer Peer Connect Facilitator Mailing List
Sign up to the mailing list to keep up-to-date with the latest information about education workshops, facilitator tele-meetings and general support group updates.
You can sign up here.